Thursday, July 27, 2023

It's Hobby X Time!

   So...  there's a new edition of 40k, in case you didn't know.  This is the "10th edition" and is a complete overhaul from the 8-9th era.  There's a lot going on suddenly.


  Thank you for your patience as I've been away for a bit.  I'm still working hard at keeping the world (at least my local one) clean and it's been busy.  Toss on top of that a bunch of personal stuff affecting me and my circles and suddenly the hobby ends up drifting into the background.  This didn't happen with us- my son and I still played all the way through 9th edition and had the excitement of new (or returning to old) armies and the upcoming new edition.  Oh boy...



  I immediately preordered everything and double-stocked the awesome launch box because it's a bit of a deal (there's many blogs out there that break down the value and it's remarkable).  Even cooler, I found that the rulebook included in that box also had the campaign book in it!  While I have two rulebooks now, I also have two Screamer-Killers (well, my son does), two squads of Terminators, and tons more- I am a fan.  



  Unfortunately, the timing of this edition's release and this busy household didn't agree and we've only been able to play two games of 10th.  In the first game, the Ultramarines survived and executed the xenos to pull out a decisive victory.  The second game saw the Tyranids come from a gazillion points behind to eke out a win at the last second (and without using a Gambit!).  The best part of that game was the soft-quitting at the end of round three and more than 30 points behind to playing it out and winning by 2.  Those are the kinds of games that you remember (like the limping Screamer-Killer smashing into a healthy Land Raider and dying in the ensuing explosion to clear an entire objective and deny points).  



  I'm really excited to get some hobbying and gaming in with this new edition.  I dig the free and updated datacards, I really appreciate the army-building app, and I'm having fun messing up and learning a new edition even more than any other edition in the past (this one is complicated!).  Finally, I'm happy to get my Ultramarines on the tables again, and with some effectiveness [sans the Primarch] for the first time in a decade.  This is exciting!


  I hope you're having the same experience.  Let me know how you like the new edition in the comments below and Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment