Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Hive War against the authorities!

   This weekend saw my buddy come down for his annual visit and our regularly-scheduled Necromunda bash.  For the first time, he brought down his own crew and it was one that I wasn't familiar with at all.  In the lawless wastes of the Underhive, the law shows up rarely but hard...


  This weekend of gaming was a welcome one away from work, a fantastic chance to hang out with an old friend, and set records for games played in a short weekend.  I played my buddy, then my wife played him, then I played him again, and then I played my son- that's four games in two days!  We could have even added another on Friday night, but I was tired and my buddy was forced to listen to me rant from exhaustion. 


  Because we played so many games so quickly, I didn't take down detailed notes to follow the play-by-play.  But I did take copious amounts of pics and will give [very] brief description of each game.  If this were campaign play, many of the fighters were outright dead and others should have been in recovery during their battles.  But it was just a series of skirmish games- even if my wife is already primed to campaign!  I've taught her well...


Game 1

  My buddy brought his Enforcers.  He's been working on them for a long time but finally got a 1000 credit crew together to run against me.  We set up using the TTCombat stuff (fumbling with it for over an hour because we're not dexterous and terrain is fun) and got the first game going.  

  The funniest parts of this game involved some well-timed Tactics cards.  First, he deployed Trembra in the back corner away from her boyfriend (the leader) and kept her shotgun from having an impact for many turns.  That was annoying because my normal 'fist' depends on Cxauth's group activations to use the powerful weapons in order.  

  But it wasn't over as I then used a card to move his armored anvil backwards.  This stunted his charge and completely changed the whole battle moving forward.  The Silent Ones ended up winning the game, but it was at a cost- Iagorth suffered death!  















Game 2

  This time, my wife brought out her Carrion Queens to face the Enforcers.  Unfortunately, she was not prepared for the Enforcers.  The game was quick as one of the women was sniped, then Jelena climbed up to check on her down colleague only to get sniped herself.  Marksman plus Rending means even a leader can't survive that round!

  To make matters worse, Marika aimed her plasma pistol at one of the Enforcers and suffered the unstable rule, exploding herself and leaving the Carrion Queens without a leader.  Obviously, a voluntary bottle was in order...




Game 3

  After some victory laps, my buddy and I lined up for another game between my Delaque and his Enforcers.  This one didn't go as well as the hand flamer-wielding ganger (Dendrah) was displaced in deployment and the rest of the gang was a bit more cautious.  With great dice rolls and armor that is invulnerable, the Enforcers simply walked through everyone wearing coats.  With only two gangers standing and everyone else dead or down, it was time to quit the battlefield.











Game 4

  Finally, my buddy left for home and my son busted out the Cawdor cultists to battle the Silent Ones.  He felt bad because he didn't play my buddy, but he was worn out from a week of work and I couldn't blame him.  But his need for war eventually took over and he plopped down for our battle.

  The only thing I can describe about this battle is... FIRE!  I had the hand flamer put a couple of cultists to flame, only for the entire Cawdor gang to close and unleash their flamethrowers onto me.  We had gangers running in every direction trying to put out the flames and losing actions.  We had models succumb to being immolated slowly and drop out of the game.  It was hot.  After the smoke cleared and the bodies littered the battlefield, it was the Cawdor that lost their nerve and quit.









  It was a great weekend of gaming!  Four games in two days and with the buddy that I grew up in the hobby alongside makes for memories.  It was awesome getting to play against the Enforcers and even cooler to spend so much time trying to find that balance for each opponent.  I bragged incessantly about how 'unique' each gang feels and how well GW was able to make it all feel varied and still balanced.  Of course, I don't like fighting the crazy-armored cops but I didn't feel that I didn't have a chance at any point.

  That's it for now!  We plan to get a campaign going (maybe in September when he comes down uncharacteristically soon) and much painting needs to get finished, but this was a great motivating weekend!  Let me know if you've had a glut on your hobby in the comments below.  Until then- 

Happy Gaming!


No comments:

Post a Comment