Monday, July 4, 2022

Happy Independence Day!

   If you live in the USA, then you know that today is our celebration of independence from the British crown.  The date is almost completely arbitrary as it doesn't exactly match up with the signing of the Declaration or the Constitution (or Articles, for that matter), but it's close enough to count.  In today's modern era, it really just means a day to grill outdoors, drink tons of alcohol (as is the case for most American holidays), and watch awesome fireworks in the evening.  Freedom!


  It's too hot for fireworks this year.  The potential for wildfires and accidents is too high and the show has been cancelled or postponed.  But it's not too hot for grilling!  We have the plans for ribs, burgers and dogs, and even cheesecake and other deserts!  I played two games of 40k this weekend and now get to glut on some barbecued meats...  one of the best holidays evar!



  This takes me to a little story from my past life in the service of the Emprah.  It was July 4th, two-thousand something, and we were required to have our shops open on the holiday.  The idea was that we could capitalize on everyone being off-work and bored.  That idea rarely panned out as people liked to... play outdoors on those summer holidays and cuddle indoors for the others, but I was a good marine and did my job.  Because, of course, this holiday was about American independence from the British, I felt comfortable, nay- obligated!, to hang the American flag.  Little did I realize that our British overlord named "Tom" would be on this side of the pond and popping into shops.  My shop was part of the densest region and was the top in its class for the nation, so it was getting a visit.  Without my knowledge.

  There we- and by "we", I mean myself in my black armour, I think at least one of my poor red-shirts,  and about a half-dozen gamers just gathered lazily at the corner of one of the tables.  Our discussion likely wasn't gamer-related nor would lead to any sales, so that probably didn't help.  But we were enjoying ourselves and I had a few new silver pieces in the till, so I didn't feel the danger coming on.  Suddenly, the door swings open and my boss and the overlord himself come strolling on into the shop.  Brainwashed to immediately react with a greeting and assessment, the horror took a moment to actualize.  "Welcome in!  What can I help... you... " I trailed off as I realized that our little group from which my greeting emanated was perfectly framed by the giant American flag.  I realized this from the look of barely-controlled disdain on Tom's face.  That British stoicism isn't always successful.



  I gave little mind to it as I'm a looooooong seasoned veteran, my boss is an actual military veteran, and this day has a meaning to us on this side of the pond.  It may have taken a moment, but I processed through the situation and continued on with my programmed engagement.  The situation was mostly ackward because I just didn't have a group of gamers to bring that energy to my shop- instead I had the handful of loiterers and lonelies that gave me a couple sales and expected some friendship for a moment (which I was happy to give).  This meant guiding my boss and the overlord through a suddenly suppressed shop with little happening and nothing but a giant American flag, spitting in the face of he-who-signs-our-paychecks, and my fellow nerds to fill space.  They were there for about ten minutes.  We resumed our irrelevant fun after ten minutes.  Freedom!


  For those celebrating- be safe and have a great time!  American holidays are just excuses for food and fun.  For those elsewhere and not having an arbitrary day of celebrations on this particular calendar date- be safe and have a great day!  



  Well, that's my excuse of a posting for the week.  Once I have an actual idea or make the mistake of falling into another GW trap (Horus Heresy is sitting there on the shelf at my game store just calling my name...), then I'll post with some substance.  But for now, back to seasoning some meat and remembering the point...

No comments:

Post a Comment