Monday, July 6, 2020

Reanimation Protocols

Pulled from Google Images credit Doctors of Doom
  This post couldn't have a more apt title as I've been down and out for a few months.  It's nothing bad, but I'm a teacher and have another job that is super intense between the months of January and June, so I just didn't have the time to breathe, much less hobby.  But that second job is now in the off-season (unless the government extends again) and I don't have a class assigned this session, so I'm able to pull out some toys and play!  

  Of course these last seven months have been insane between my own personal work schedule, my kids' and my own school processes changing, and Nurgle's blessing blanketing the world.  And in all that, GW has not been idle.  Even with shops closed or now doing little more than curbside-pickup, the company has dropped lots of cool (often limited) models and even an entire End-Time campaign that added so many rules to the game.  Obviously, I haven't been able to keep up with all of it, but I've had a bit of hobby luck come my way.


  Much of that luck is focused around holidays and my luck is almost always concentrated onto one of those lesser-celebrated holidays- Father's Day.  My wife and kids like to drop monies for me to get models that I just can't get for whatever reason.  Years ago, they got me a Stormtalon gunship (which I still haven't painted), followed a couple years later with an Imperial Knight.  This year, they decided to get me started on a whole new army.  I've wanted to collect this army for years (the Orks won the choice between the two all those years ago) but I haven't wanted to commit that kind of money. 

  Well, GW has a way of overcoming obstacles like poverty and alternate focus.  I don't like spending gobs of money (anymore) on armies, but I have no choice when new rules come out.  When an entire new edition gets released, I start 'slangin' on the corner to get that money.  Well, here we are- 9th edition 40k is trundling toward us (and will be here by the end of the month), so I'm already earmarking money for that.  But what about that army?


  The family bought me two boxes of Necron Warriors and a box of Immortals.  This (plus the Overlord that was out of stock for the longest time) makes a battalion for a whole new army.  I would be reluctant to continue with this army due to cost, but 40k 9th is coming in the form of a massive box full of Necrons!  I've whined for years that I want to start Necrons, but I just didn't think it was worth the cost.  Now...  the deal in that box is so worth it! 


  I'm going to buy that 'launch box' on release (or slightly before as I'm very blessed with contacts), so this means that I'm going to end up with Necrons anyway.  The kids and wife are very intelligent and made sure to time this Father's Day gift with this release so that I couldn't reject or even apathetically accept it.  They knew that my passion and desire (sounds less like a hobby blog with that phrase) plus my OCD-level completionist approach to this hobby would guarantee that I would cry with joy.  And I did.  My family rules!


  I've included some pictures of my progress within the post.  I'm not going to lie- I haven't put in anywhere near the effort to make these models "case-level" as I'm used to.  But that's one of the reasons that I love Necrons- they require no effort to look quite good.  And just like my Custodes, simple paint schemes done well look great on the tabletop.  


  As with any other hobby blog out there, I'm hoping to post pics of my progress as I continue.  I'll also post about my opinions on the new edition, but that's already common.  I return to the virtual classroom in a couple of weeks, so I have quite a bit to do between now and then (especially for this neglected blog).  Stay tuned for updates and I'll see you back soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment