Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Even the trees walk!



  In case you haven't been keeping up, Underworlds is our favorite game for this family.  It's the one that requires the least amount of setup and has the least amount of rules, and models are really cool.  We know that I'm into anything GW, and that I will recruit anyone I can to play, even my poor innocent children.  

  My son obviously plays all the games with me and he's already picked up and used a good number of the warbands.  My wife is all about her Death armies and that definitely is represented in both the setting and the two warbands that she forced me to pick up (it took so much convincing...).  But my daughter had not yet gotten into these games with us and, well, I just couldn't let that stand.  

  Owning all the warbands (and cards and White Dwarfs that even mention the game), I laid them all out in front of my daughter and asked her which one looked like her favorites.  She was stricken by the tree-ghost thingies.  Ylthari's Guardians it is!


  So I went to work furiously trying to paint these things and get my daughter interested in playing.  Maybe if there was some color on the models, she'd be able to understand what the warriors do and how to use their special abilities.  When the models were done, her mom and she played a game using all painted miniatures and it was much easier for her to keep up with everything.  Admittedly, I did not have a fun time painting these models- too many spindly details overlapping too many other spindly details!  But the final result was awesome and accomplished the purpose.

  Before I get to the pictures, I must disclose that I dusted off the old digital camera.  You see, the camera in my phone finally succumbed to years of drops and stopped working.  Unfortunately, I became spoiled and forgot how to use the real camera, so please forgive the poor picture quality...

Ylthari's Guardians

I forgot to turn the flash off...
And then I forgot how to focus...




  And that's it!  It took me a few weeks to finally finish them (and really about five days) because of some experimentation that didn't quite work out.  But they're done and great models to boot!  As far as their strategy in the game- 

  It's best not to put these warriors too close to the enemy's territory as they aren't the most resilient tree-stock around.  With some range and magic, plus the ability to cause additional damage and wound repeatedly, these is a 'rope-a-dope' warband in that it's made to wear the opponent down.  Few in number and requiring crits on the dice rolls to do anything, they aren't immediate masters like the Chaos and Stormcast warbands.  But some cunning and timing and they can be outrageously frustrating for the opponent.  

  Let me know what you think below and what warband you play if you play this game. 

Happy Hobbying!

No comments:

Post a Comment