Tuesday, March 12, 2019

More Flying Cavalry

  It's been a week, so I should have another unit painted, right?  I do!  Coincidentally, it's a repeat of last week's unit- more Vertus Praetors!  Let's get straight to it:

Next unit, but this time with Salvo Launchers (except that one guy)!



  Again, this was using the exact same techniques from the hobby post, however I did include Evil Suns Scarlet instead of a red/orange mix.  That did make a bit of a difference and I don't have to mix paints, which is always a plus.  Otherwise, just a simple scheme that will get this army done fast.

More to the rescue!

  So I now have six of these bad boys...   In my regular army list, I will play them as two units of 3, all armed with Hurricane Bolters (some just look like missiles) in the Fast Attack slots.  Seems simple and they give that speed to an otherwise very small force.  However, I do have some options if I want to get a little more awesome with these guys...



  I can either play them as above for 540 points (or 550 if you actually pay for the missiles) or as below.  That means one unit of 5 Vertus Praetors and a Shield-captain on Dawneagle Jetbike for 620.  The extra 70 or 80 points can make a huge difference, especially if using these as a small detachment in the greater Imperial Soup.


  And this is where I'll go into the stats for this week.  Remember that you can find the stats for the regular Vertus Praetors in last week's post.  Today, it's all about the addition:

The Unit- Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike
  They are the Shield-captains who brought out their harlies for the battle.  Just like their unit counterpart, they are fast, tough, put out good damage, and have the almighty 'FLY' keyword.  Where they shine is in being a character and buffing those around him.  
  For 160 points, you get a character with 
  • a move of 14",
  • T6 with a save of 2+/5++ and 7 wounds,
  • an Interceptor Lance with 5 attacks hitting on 2+ at S6, -3AP, and d3 Dmg that rerolls wounds on the charge,
  • shooting from Hurricane Bolters at Rapid Fire 6 and hitting on 2's, 
  • and here's the important part-
Rerollling hit rolls of '1' for friendly Custodes (and himself) within 6"!!!

So now a unit that hits on 2's gets to reroll 1's?!?  With that many shots and attacks?!?  Nice!!!  Suddenly those extra 80 points I noted above don't seem so bad as they gain the bubble-buff and an extra 3 wounds with the character targeting rules to protect them...  


Let me know what you've been working on yourself.  And, as always, Happy Hobbying! 


2 comments: